Late Night Kisses
Grayson,
I was taking a bath tonight. I heard one of you boys, stumbling about in the hall. The crinkling of your diaper gave you away. Then you called to me, "Mommy".
I told you were I was and you, dripping with sleep and eyes half-closed, held your arms up and said, "I need you hold me, Mommy." Moved by the very sight of this adorable bundle, I invited you to join me in the tub. You got in and melted in my arms.
After a few quiet cuddles, you looked up at me and just grinned. I love that smile. It's radiant and contagious.
As you were splashing in the water, you told me how much you like to hear me sing in church. I told you that my voice was a gift from God and something unique to me; it made me happy that you liked it.
I asked you why you were getting so big; and again a big smile, followed by, "I a fireman." Sunday, Daddy had been called out to a fire, and left before church, to go help. You boys had all decided that you too, were going to be firemen that day. All of you wore blue shirts and blue pants. You reminded me that you were a fireman at church. I asked if you thought Daddy was pretty neat and you said, "yeah, Mr. Michael pwetty neet too."(he's our neighbor, that made me laugh).
I told you all about how I realized that Daddy was the one. How God had already put you on my heart, long before I met Daddy. And when I realized that God had put you on Daddy's heart, too; I didn't hesitate to say yes, when he asked me to marry him. You were so delighted to hear all of that.
Then I told you about the day God told me you were coming. That was a big surprise. I love surprises. It's really hard to surprise me though, ask Daddy. I woke up that morning, and just knew. When I got full confirmation, I just laughed. I was so excited. You and your brothers and siblings were our hearts desire.
We then laughed as I told you that Will and Grady were once in my tummy. It was so precious when you asked if Daddy was in there, too.
Once you were toweled and jommied (that's how you say pajamas), you said, "I baby, Mommy." So I scooped you up in the cradle of my arms and rocked you to dreamland. My heart swelled.
Son, I love you. Thank you for getting out of your bed, and seeking me out tonight. Thanks for letting me love you. For being so willing to teach me more about a Father's love for His children and how He delights in us. I will forever treasure those moments tonight. I am sure that the day you marry, this will come to mind, and tears will flow then as well. You are my surprise treasure. I thank God for you. ~ Your Mommy
I was taking a bath tonight. I heard one of you boys, stumbling about in the hall. The crinkling of your diaper gave you away. Then you called to me, "Mommy".
I told you were I was and you, dripping with sleep and eyes half-closed, held your arms up and said, "I need you hold me, Mommy." Moved by the very sight of this adorable bundle, I invited you to join me in the tub. You got in and melted in my arms.
After a few quiet cuddles, you looked up at me and just grinned. I love that smile. It's radiant and contagious.
As you were splashing in the water, you told me how much you like to hear me sing in church. I told you that my voice was a gift from God and something unique to me; it made me happy that you liked it.
I asked you why you were getting so big; and again a big smile, followed by, "I a fireman." Sunday, Daddy had been called out to a fire, and left before church, to go help. You boys had all decided that you too, were going to be firemen that day. All of you wore blue shirts and blue pants. You reminded me that you were a fireman at church. I asked if you thought Daddy was pretty neat and you said, "yeah, Mr. Michael pwetty neet too."(he's our neighbor, that made me laugh).
I told you all about how I realized that Daddy was the one. How God had already put you on my heart, long before I met Daddy. And when I realized that God had put you on Daddy's heart, too; I didn't hesitate to say yes, when he asked me to marry him. You were so delighted to hear all of that.
Then I told you about the day God told me you were coming. That was a big surprise. I love surprises. It's really hard to surprise me though, ask Daddy. I woke up that morning, and just knew. When I got full confirmation, I just laughed. I was so excited. You and your brothers and siblings were our hearts desire.
We then laughed as I told you that Will and Grady were once in my tummy. It was so precious when you asked if Daddy was in there, too.
Once you were toweled and jommied (that's how you say pajamas), you said, "I baby, Mommy." So I scooped you up in the cradle of my arms and rocked you to dreamland. My heart swelled.
Son, I love you. Thank you for getting out of your bed, and seeking me out tonight. Thanks for letting me love you. For being so willing to teach me more about a Father's love for His children and how He delights in us. I will forever treasure those moments tonight. I am sure that the day you marry, this will come to mind, and tears will flow then as well. You are my surprise treasure. I thank God for you. ~ Your Mommy

Comments