Isn't it amazing how sleep evolves in a lifetime.


Babies come out craving sleep. Depending on it to grow and develop. They sleep anywhere and everywhere, as long as they are warm and their bellies are full.


Then sometime around 6 to 9 months they decide that sleeping is "evil". Naps are just something that Mom and Dad require to have time to themselves (some of that is true).


Then about puberty all kids want to do is stay up late, sleep til noon and then take a nap before dinner.


That stays well into college years, when they all of a sudden learn how great it is to sleep when you want to, and since there is no one telling you that you have to take a nap, it once again becomes appealing. Students get out on their own for the first time and sleep 12 hours a night and then come home to take a nap, (I think just to procrastinate studying, and then cram for a day or two before a test). This is when the wonderful world of coffe is discovered. This miracle drug will allow you to stay awake through a boring lecture, power shop for the next big event that requires a new dress, and then stay up all night in order to ace that final, even though a week later that information will be completely gone. This habit will serve them well from now on.


Then you get married and realize that the real world doesn't wait til noon to get started. Now that blessed sleep is abruptly interrupted for the luxury of a pay check. This world would not be possible without that wonder drug of coffee.


Now I am in a new phase. Motherhood. Sleep is just a precious memory. My body used to require it to function. Now sleep just teases me. I know that one hour is too much but 12 would never be enough. Oh well, when your beautiful children wake up in the middle of night coughing so much they throw up right down the front of your shirt, while the baby is lying in bed crying because he needs to eat yet again, you realize that there will come another era where sleep will happen once again.


But for right now I am just going to going to trust that with God and this cup of coffee, I can face whatever challenges these boys can dish out. And find joy in fact that I am a wittness to all the excitement that is the Amy boys.

Comments

Garner Zoo said…
Now I know where you were last night. We missed you! I hope your boys get to feeling better soon.

Popular Posts